Job title: Library Assistant Department: Public Services
Pay range: $15.00 per hour
Job Type: Part-time, 20 hours per week; consisting primarily of evenings and weekends
Mead Public Library, in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, is accepting applications for two, part-time (20 hour per week) Library Assistants on our Public Services Team. We are looking for candidates who will provide friendly, high quality customer service to library users, as well as perform responsible and varied paraprofessional library duties in the areas of circulation, youth and adult services. Library Assistants are often the first point of contact for library users and must provide excellent and enthusiastic customer service. Library Assistants may be asked to perform multiple, distinct roles and share tasks, so individuals in these positions must be comfortable with change and be team players.
The ideal candidate is:
- Warm and friendly and enjoys helping people of all ages.
- Outgoing –loves letting people know what’s new and happening in the library.
- Engages well with others and is passionate about providing exemplary customer service.
- A team player who thinks quickly on their feet.
- Excited about the prospect of growing and learning in a changing environment.
- A lifelong learner, enjoying their journey of professional development.
- Inspires fun in the people around them.
Job responsibilities include:
- Welcome customers into our library and ensure a great user experience.
- Provide an amazing library experience to each and every user by helping them find the book or resource they want or assisting them with checkout services.
- Take pride in our library, ensuring it is clean and tidy and the displays are refreshed and looking beautiful.
- Talking to our library users about the programs and services available at the library.
- Offering meaningful recommendations of the latest books, movies and music.
- Opening and closing of the library.
- Counting cash and reconciling cash balances.
- Making our library users feel welcome; register them for a library card, help them with a fee, request a book, assist them with printing and copying, or walk them through basic computer assistance.
- Understanding the needs of the library users and connecting them to the right person at the right time.
- Working as a team, sharing ideas, and listening to others.
- Answering phones, reserving meeting rooms for patrons, and identifying collection needs based on customer comments.
- High school diploma
- Computer literacy including e-mail, basic software and hardware proficiency, and navigating the Internet.
- Some college coursework and/or an Associate or Bachelor’s degree
- Fluency in Spanish or Hmong
- Library, bookstore, or retail experience
- You will stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
How to apply: Resume and cover letter should be sent to Melissa Prentice (firstname.lastname@example.org), Public Services Manager at Mead Public Library.
Deadline: Documents must be received by email prior to 5PM on Monday 2/19/18.