You are here

A - E

Adoption Information

Note: The Wisconsin Adoption Information Center is a statewide authority.
Source: The Sheboygan Press, April 26, 1999, p. B7.

Anniversary Dates - Sheboygan

Answer: Sheboygan was incorporated as a city on March 19, 1853.
Source: Mayor's Office

Ashby Bridge Picture

Answer: A reference may be found regarding the bridge in The Sheboygan Press from April 23, 1926.
Source: Mead Public Library Information File

Beach/Lake Conditions and Safety - Sheboygan

Surf Forecast marine forecast
Source: Mead Public Library Information File

Bike Lane Striping

You may see bicycle lanes & sharrow marking installed on select Sheboygan County roadways. Funding for these projects is through the Nonmotorized Transportation Pilot Program (NMTPP). Below are some quick tips about these new markings.
Please ride safe!

A bicycle lane is a portion of the roadway that has been designated for the preferential use of bicyclists.
Shared lane paved markings (or “sharrows”) are bicycle symbols that are placed in the roadway lane indicating that motorists should expect to see and share the lane with bicycles.
What do sharrows mean for motorists and bicyclists?
Motorists: Remember to give bicyclists three feet of space when passing Follow the rules of the road as if there were no sharrows
Bicyclists: Use the sharrow to guide where you ride within the lane Remember not to ride too close to parked cars

Blizzards - Sheboygan

Greatest 24-hour snowfalls in Sheboygan
18" - January 31, 1947
16.5" - February 5-6, 2008
16" - January 9-10, 1930
15.5" - March 19, 1971
14.5" - January 22, 2005
14" - February 10-11, 1959
13.5" - March 27, 1928
13" - January 13, 1998
13" - December 23-24, 1959
12.5" - February 22, 1993

Source: The Sheboygan Press, February 7, 2008, p.1.

Bratwurst - Sheboygan - New York Times


When did the article about Sheboygan bratwurst appear in the New York Times?


The article, "The Meat That Made Sheboygan Famous" by R. W. Apple Jr. can be found in the New York Times edition of June 5, 2002, page F1.

Buildings - Famous

1 - City Hall: "This Post-Renaissance building reflects the solidarity and the dignity befitting a public building of its day. The monumental effect of the façade is created by the use of the 'colossal order' in the entrance - the Doric columns and plasters rise through two stories to the heavy cornice above. In true Post-Renaissance fashion the ground story is heavy ashlar masonry and the upper stories are smooth brick.

The building was designed by H. W. Buemming, Milwaukee, with working drawings by W. C. Weeks Associates and constructed in 1915-16 on the previous site of the old police station and barn. The open marble staircase, the wrought iron newel-posts, the leaded glass skylight of the Council Chambers, and the old oak public benches are original."

2 - Sheboygan County Court House: "Reputed to be one of Wisconsin's outstanding examples of Art-Deco, the Sheboygan County Court House was dedicated in 1934. During this era public buildings were generally awarded through a contest, and the popular appeal of a design was the basis for the selection of an architect. John Burns, a designer for K. M. Vitzthum and Co. is credited with the design of the building. Working drawings were done by W. C. Weeks, Inc.

The massive Indiana Limestone building impresses the viewer with its simplicity, dignity, and 'modern geometric' ornamentation of the day. Interior appointments exemplify the care taken to achieve design consistency.

The entrance hall is paneled in Etowah pink Georgian marble. Aluminum, a favorite "new" building material, was used extensively in the light fixtures, railings, and even the radiator grilles throughout the building.

The building was erected on the site of the previous 1868 County Court House. All four sides of the exterior were treated uniformly, reflecting the expectation that possibly the Court House would someday utilize the entire block, as it has. An annex building was added in 1956 and further expansion and remodeling occurred in 1969.

It is interesting to consider that this architectural style, considered "extremely popular" forty-odd years ago has now been categorized as period architecture and named "Art-Deco"

Source: Heritage Walk in Old Sheboygan, (197-).

Bus Routes and Schedule


Century Farms

Answer: For information, please refer to the book, "Wisconsin centennial: century farms, Sheboygan County" by Rudolph Mueller.
Source: Mead Public Library Information File

City Hall - Building History

August 1911 - proposed by Common Council
March 1912 - bonding approved in special election
July 1915 - plans finally accepted
1916 - built
January 5, 1917 - first Common Council meeting held in new City Hall
Source: "100 years of Sheboygan" by Joseph Leberman.

Elkhart Lake – Government

What political unit controls the governance of Elkhart Lake?

Part of Elkhart Lake is under the jurisdiction of the village of Elkhart and the other is under Town Rhine. Elkhart Lake is entirely within the Town of Rhine. The Barrows cottage is in the Town Rhine section, and Sheboygan Bay is ruled by the village of Elkhart.

Mead Public Library Information File

Everhard, Miss Ethel

Answer: Ethel Everhard worked as an art teacher and art supervisor in the Sheboygan Public School System for 15 years before leaving Sheboygan to teach elsewhere. She returned to Sheboygan in 1950 to enjoy her retirement. When Miss Everhard passed away on September 12, 1965, she left her estate to her sister Mabel, with the provision that when her sister died the estate would be divided between certain beneficiaries, among which was the Mead Public Library. Mabel Everhard died about a month later.

The Library Board decided that the bulk of the money to be received from the Everhard estate would remain invested and the interest used for various public service programs. A portion of the money was used for certain features and equipment in the new library building (1974). These include the fireplace and lounge area in the Henrietta A. Landwehr Children's Library Center, the Kitchenette adjacent to the Meeting Room, the sound console and paging system, the fireplace and lounge area in the Adult Department, the furniture and appliances in the library staff room, and the furnishings in the Administrative Offices.

Another substantial bequest was received in January 1977, from the estate of Minnie M. Forrer. Miss Forrer was also a teacher in the local school system, serving as head of the English Department at the Sheboygan High School and later at Central High, from 1921 to 1955. Again, the Library Board decided to invest most of the principal, designating the interest to be used for equipment and for special programs.

In recognition of these bequests, the continuing series of public service programs, funded by the generosity of these two teachers, are called "Everhard-Forrer Programs."
Source: Mead Public Library Information File