You are here

Baum Drawings Part 4

evergreen park

Evergreen Park, Sheboygan
Shown above is the picturesque main entrance to Evergreen Park, situated northwest of Sheboygan on State Trunk Highway No. 32, within easy walking distance of the city limits. A part of the city’s extensive system of parks, Evergreen Park’s most distinctive feature is the natural growth of standing timber, which has been permitted to remain in its original state, except for the removal of obstructing underbrush and fallen trunks and branches. The park has an area of nearly 100 acres, and contains an aggregate of 35 varieties of native Wisconsin trees, 60 per cent of which are white pines, 20 per cent cedars, and balanced mixed hardwoods and evergreens. Throughout the area have been built numerous rustic bridges, winding and forking roads and trails, picnic spots, recreation spaces, play grounds, and facilities for the use and enjoyment of the public. Sixty-nine acres of the park area were acquired in 1918 and a little over 30 acres in 1936. It has become a popular and favored spot for thousands seeking rest and relief from the heat on oppressive summer days.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
September 21, 1945

 

 

st. lawrence college

St. Lawrence College
Not a feudal castle in Spain nor a medieval stronghold on the Rhine lording it by force over the surrounding countryside — the imposing congeries of buildings shown in this sketch! But a peaceful old friary or monastery of the Capuchin Fathers majestically crowning a distant hilltop and ruling gently over the hearts of men.

Located in the midst of the picturesque Kettle Moraine hillcountry, near the little village of Mt. Calvary, a few miles beyond the western boundary of Sheboygan county, it lends a romantic Old World charm to the landscape, and presents one of the pleasantest, never-to-be-forgotten scenes to be found in this section of the state. Not only is the neighboring village called Mt. Calvary, but also the hill on which the monastery stands. Close by it is a smaller hill — called Mt. Carmel — which is the site of another religious establishment, a fine old convent of the School sisters of Notre Dame.

The year 1856 marks the founding of the monastery. On October 15 that year, when all this district was but little more than a virgin wilderness, Father Francis Haas and Father Bonaventure Frey, two zealous young Swiss priests, at the end of a long, hard journey from their native land, climbed to the crest of Mt. Calvary for the first time and selected it as the ideal spot for their projected undertaking. Their decision that day proved to be of more than ordinary importance. The institution they envisioned was to be the first permanent friary of the Capuchin Order in the United States and the nucleus of St. Lawrence college. The cornerstone of the first structure was laid on June 25, 1857, and the building was completed in March 1858. Oddly enough, these two men started the monastery before they were members of the Capuchin Order, but they were received into the order at Mt. Calvary in December 1857 before the building was finished.

Fathers Haas and Frey were not the first to be attracted to this favored place. Seven years before, in the spring of 1849, Caspar Rehrl, a pioneer Wisconsin priest, built a little log cabin on Mt. Calvary, which served as a monastery chapel and parish church for about 15 years. In 1852 the Sisters of Notre Dame founded a small mission on Mt. Carmel, which in due time grew to be the well-established convent to be seen there today. In fact, tradition has it that as far back as 1680 Father Zenobius Membre raised mission crosses on the summits of Mt. Calvary, Holy Hill, Marytown, and other prominent eminences in the district. Throughout all ages man has been prone to raise his memorials to God on high elevations, probably to symbolize his constant upward reaching toward immortality.

St Lawrence college, conducted by the Capuchin Fathers in connection with the friary on Calvary hill, was founded in 1860. It is a preparatory seminary, having for its aim the education of young men for the priesthood. St. Lawrence of Brindisi, an illustrious Capuchin of the 16th century, has been chosen as its patron. In the 85 years of its existence the college has graduated a total of 3,350 students. Its present enrollment is approximately 175. The school comprises five buildings, and it has a faculty of 13 members.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
September 28, 1945
 

lake shore drive

Lake Shore Drive, Sheboygan
Probably the greatest of Sheboygan’s natural advantages is its favorable location on the western shore of Lake Michigan. As long ago as 1864, Col. Thomas J. Cram, of the United States Corps of Engineers, reported, “The plateau upon which the city is built is high above the lake, presenting one of the best sites for a large commercial town upon any of our Great Lakes.”

The curving shore of the lake, the wide, sandy beach, the broad expanse of water extending as far as the eye can reach, the constantly changing colors from green to purple to blue, the almost ceaseless roll of white-capped waves, the far-flung horizon, all combine to produce an effect which has few counterparts elsewhere. To enhance the attractiveness of the view, the city of Sheboygan has built a picturesque scenic drive which closely follows the shore line. A section of the drive where it rounds North Point is shown in the above sketch.

Just off North Point, extending out into the lake quite a distance, is a wide stretch of smooth limestone bedrock which bears witness, in the form of numerous grooves and scratches, to the movement of the glaciers when they were hollowing out the basin of the lake during the ages when the ice was over the earth.

The official name of the lake shore drive is Broughton Drive so named in honor of Charles E. Broughton, of Sheboygan, because of his active interest in its construction.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
October 5, 1945

 

elm tree

Elm Tree
The glory of the Sheboygan county landscape is its trees, not only those clustered in groves and woods, but the solitary elms and oaks growing along the fence rows, by the roadsides, and in the midst of fields. What a dreary sight the countryside would be without trees!

The fine old specimen shown in the sketch is an American elm, probably the favorite tree of most people. It is the embodiment of strength, dignity and independence. Standing out in the open, where it is free and uncrowded by other trees, it attains its most perfect form and development.
It is always easy to identify an elm, even from a distance, “just by the looks of it,” for it has no central stem running up through the crown. The trunk divides not far from the ground into three or four main limbs, and then into smaller branches and shoots . As the tree rises and spreads out in graceful curves, it forms a shape not unlike a huge vase, or a fan, or a giant feather duster sweeping the sky. The slender terminal branches droop somewhat, like the flexible appendages of the weeping willow, and add greatly to the suppleness and stately grace of the tree. It is interesting as one rides through the country to try to identify the various species of trees by their shapes.

The elm is the favorite home of the Baltimore oriole, whose nest, which is hidden in summer by the foliage, is seen in winter swinging, deserted, from the high pendulous twigs, and close to the very tips of the twigs, to protect the eggs and young birds from pilfering owls and red squirrels.
The farming scene in the background is “pea vining”; the raising of peas for canning is one of the county’s principal industries.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
October 19, 1945

 

covered bridge

Covered Bridge in Ozaukee County
Pictured above is the covered bridge that spans Cedar creek, just off Highway 57, one mile north of Cedarburg in Ozaukee county. In use continually since 1876, it is unique in being the only covered bridge still in existence in Wisconsin. It is depicted here to give an idea of what the old covered bridge looked like, which for many years spanned the Sheboygan river at the first rapids a few miles west of Sheboygan, and was mentioned in connection with Mr. Baum’s sketch entitled, “Sheboygan county’s most historic spot,” in the October 26th issue of The Sheboygan Press.

Contrary to common belief, covered bridges were not built to give protection against rain or snow, but to strengthen the structure and to prevent horses and oxen from becoming frightened while crossing the bridge. In winter it was necessary for the town authorities to “snow the bridges” so that sleighs could get through. These bridges were home-made and locally built. The roof and side-boarding make then very dark inside at night, which, together with the loud rumbling of the floor as vehicles passed over it, and the fear of highway robbers possibly lurking in the interior ready to waylay the passing traveler, usually made the crossing a nerve tingling experience.

The bridge over the Sheboygan river was a well-known landmark of its day. It usually was referred to as the Ashby bridge, after William Ashby, a farmer living nearby.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
November 9, 1945

 

 

log house

Log House in Town of Rhine
Abraham Lincoln, more than any other American, has enshrined the log cabin in the hearts of the people. Some persons go so far as to claim that the reason we have so few great men these days is that there are so few log cabins for them to be born in. What we need in this country today, they say, is a “Back to log cabins” movement; and when we think about it, we really do need a spiritual return to the oldfashioned virtues and principles bred in the people in the lowly log cabins once scattered throughout the length and breadth of the land.

Log cabins were at one time a common sight in Sheboygan county, the very first houses, carved out of the wilderness, being practically all built in this style, as logs were the cheapest and most convenient building material available. Today, however, probably not more than two or three log dwellings, actually occupied, remain. One is to be found in the southwest quarter of section 3 in the town of Rhine. It was built by an early settler of the town named Christian Schmidt, probably in 1850 when he bought the land on which it is located; and it is still in the hands of his heirs. The structure is larger and more elaborate, however, than the ordinary pioneer log habitations.

The average log cabin was seldom larger than 18x24 feet, and was a one-room, single-story affair, with a windowless loft or attic directly under the roof. As the family grew, and more room was needed, the original structure was enlarged by adding a second story, or erecting an addition or wing. The first addition, however, was most apt to be a lean-to built on the rear of the house, and covered by an extension of the back roof. As the years passed, the original log cabin was likely to be torn down and a commodious frame dwelling built. Sometimes the parents continued to live in the old habitation, while a son and his family occupied the new house. Frequently the cabin did service as a summer kitchen, laundry or storage place long after it had outlived its usefulness as a home.

Sen. C.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
November 23, 1945

 

holy name

Holy Name Church, Sheboygan
In the heart of every man there exists a pressing urge, which he cannot resist, to represent outwardly that which moves him strongly within. When he erects a church his mind is fixed on higher things than when he builds a factory; and he builds accordingly. Churches and cathedrals are among the world’s most magnificent edifices, because they are reared to express man’s noblest aspiration, namely, his desire to fittingly honor and worship the Creator.

Rev. Michael Haider must have thought of these things, when, in 1867, he began construction of the Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, in Sheboygan, or Holy Name church, as it is more commonly called. Father Haider, according to all accounts was a remarkable man, beloved alike by the people of the community at large and by the members of this own congregation. Not only did he conceive the idea of the church, but he personally drew the plans and specifications for it, and supervised its construction. For an adequate site he purchased a block of land 360x318 feet, at a cost of $2,200, and erected the church in the center of the tract. The structure was built of unhewn stone obtained from a quarry located northwest of Sheboygan and acquired for that purpose by the congregation. The church is 180 feet long, 58 feet wide inside the nave and 95 feet at the cross, and 70 feet high inside. Its two impressive towers attain a height of 170 feet. The massive walls are 3 feet thick in some places. Two remarkable features of the building are that there is no steel construction, stone and wood being the only materials used; and that the great span of the cross section is entirely unsupported by pillars.

The cornerstone of the church was laid on June 21 1868, and the building was completed in 1872, except the two towers which were not finished until 1876. The edifice was built near what was then the north limit of the city, and seemed much too large for that early day, but Father Haider was a man of vision and built for the years ahead.

Before Holy Name was completed the parish church was a small frame building originally only 30x20 feet in size, which was built probably in 1847, under the encouragement of Father Casper Rehrl, a pioneer missionary priest, who came to Sheboygan once every three months. Later, probably about 1850, this small building was enlarged to 46x30 feet. When Father Haider took charge in 1862 he found the old church inadequate, and soon began planning the erection of the new one. Of interest is the fact that while the name of the new church is Holy Name, that of the old church was St. Mary Magdalene.

The beginning of the parish dates back to Aug. 24, 1845. On that day Father Rehrl, on one of his missionary trips up and down eastern Wisconsin, gathered together the Catholics he found in Sheboygan and celebrated holy mass. This was the first mass celebrated in the city and was performed in the home of Alban Kind, located on Jefferson avenue between Seventh and Eighth streets. The 100th anniversary of this first mass was observed by appropriate ceremonies in Holy Name church in Sunday, Oct. 7, this year.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
November 16, 1945
 

cottonwood and willows

Maple Tree
Everybody knows and loves the stalwart maples. Commonest in this section of the country are the sugar or hard maple, the silver maple, and the red or scarlet maple. All are tall, stately trees, reliable and conservative, and beautiful for shade and ornament. The fruit consists of a pair of winged seeds or “keys.” The sap of the sugar maple is boiled down for maple sugar and the syrup, 12 or 13 quarts of sap making a pound of sugar. The red maple produces the beautiful curly and bird’s-eye grain when sawed into boards. Peculiarly, the flowers of the silver and red maples appear in spring before the leaves. The maples are at their showiest in fall when the early frosts turn their leaves to brilliant hues of yellow, orange and red. It is the maples, in fact, that give to our autumn woods their greatest riot of color.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
December 14, 1945

 

 

 

cottonwood and willows
Cottonwood and Willows
Cottonwoods and willows are quick-growing, water-loving trees that thrive in the moist soil of river bottoms and the borders of lakes and streams. The cottonwood belongs to the poplar family, being a cousin of that best-known member of the family, the quaking aspen. Its leaves are triangular, with long, flexible and flattened stems, so that even the slightest breezes set them to rustling. The leaves are also thick and leathery, lustrous dark green on the upper side, and considerably paler on the under side. Strangely, the bark of the lower trunk is rough and deeply ridged, while that of the branches and upper trunk is smooth and of a grayish green color. The seeds of the cottonwood, like those of the aspen, are produced in great numbers, and are blown long distances by the wind.
Cottonwoods and willows are commonly called weak trees, because of their soft, light, almost worthless wood, their rapid and profuse growth, and their short lives compared with most trees. Willows are easily propagated by simply sticking a twig into the soil. Brittle at the base, the twigs break off readily and take root if they fall on damp ground. Those falling on the surface of a stream or lake float until they eventually find lodgment on shore, where, if conditions are favorable, they take root and grow. In the scheme of nature it is important that while individuals may die, every safeguard must be taken that the race or species shall not be extinguished.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
December 21, 1945