You are here

Baum Drawings Part 2

old mankato

Scene Near Old Mankato
The wooded ridge, the valley and stream at its foot, and the farm buildings and railroad track half hidden in the trees, present a pleasing combination which makes this scene one of the most beautiful prospects in the county. It is laid on County Trunk Highway “C,” about one mile south of Crystal Lake, and is seen and admired by thousands of passing motorists every year. The stream is the Mullett river.

Once the site of a small hamlet named Mankato, which oldtimers recall consisted principally of a sawmill, carding mill, and blacksmith and wagon shop, nothing remains of the settlement today except the earth embankment of the old mill dam. It is a vanished village, with even its name almost forgotten.

The long, narrow ridge is glacier-formed, and known as a terminal moraine. As explained by the geologists, in ages long past when the great ice sheets pushing down from the north began to melt and retreat to the region from which they had come, they left their heavy loads of debris behind in the form of many curiously shaped ridges, hummocks, knolls and hills, of which the ridge in the picture is an example. These odd and unusual formations give to the Kettle Moraine area its name and so much of its surpassing charm and interest. The tree growth covering the ridge enables one to gain a good idea of what the entire Kettle Moraine country will look like in the years to come when its thousand hills are all clothed with green forest again.

Sen. G.W. Buchen
The Sheboygan Press 
March 30, 1945
 

rivre scene

River Scene at Sheboygan Falls
The first bold adventurer to harness the natural water power at Sheboygan Falls, and to set it to turning the wheels of industry, was an enterprising New Englander named Silas Stedman, over a hundred years ago. His first glimpse of “the falls” was in August 1835, the occasion being described in an old account in these words: “Having passed the night at the mill (Farnsworth mill), he, with his two companions, started the next morning to explore the country up the river.

Pursuing their course westerly a few miles through the dense forests, they came to the neighborhood of the river. Here they heard the sound of falling waters, and following down the stream through the thick underbrush and down a steep declivity saw amid the over hanging cedars, and the loftier pines, the rapid waters of the Sheboygan, as they went dashing, splashing, roaring down the rocky ledge. This was a wild scene; no woodman’s ax had marred its native beauty; no march of civilization had yet reached it to change the aspect it had held for ages.”

By the end of the following year Colonel Stedman had built a sawmill at the site; and from that far-off day to this the waterfall has supplied the power for a number of mills and factories. Of these, the most prominent is the woolen mill shown on the left in the sketch. This mill is now owned and operated as the Grieves Woolen Mills, but for many years it was known as the Brickner Woolen Mills. With a descent of forty-two feet, the falls offers the most valuable natural water power site in the county, and, in fact, in all of Eastern Wisconsin. Particularly in early spring, when the river is at the flood, the falls and rapids present a wild scene of furiously tumbling waters and swirling cakes of ice, which attracts on-lookers from near and far.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
April 6, 1945

 

gravel pit

Gravel Pit near Crystal Lake
The myriads of curiously rounded hills in the Kettle Moraines section of Sheboygan county are nothing but pure deposits of gravel dumped there in distant ages by the great ice caps as they pushed down from far-away northern realms. There is enough gravel in these hills to build and maintain all the highways and cities in the world. The rounded sandstone rocks and pebbles, when crushed, and the sharp-edged sand, mixed with cement, form an ideal road-building and structural material, strongly resistant to the strains and stresses of modern traffic and construction. Scattered here and there in the region are gigantic pits from which the gravel is taken and transported to points near and far, wherever needed. The pit and equipment pictured above are that of the Crystal Lake Crushed Stone company.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
April 13, 1945

 

 

ice houses

Ice Houses at Random Lake
For many years Random Lake, in the southern part of Sheboygan county, has been an important source of natural ice. Every winter, until this year, thousands of tons were harvested on this lake, stored in the adjacent mammoth ice houses portrayed in the sketch above, and shipped throughout the year to Milwaukee and other metropolitan centers. Despite the common use of artificial ice and electric refrigerators today, there is still an extensive demand for the natural product.
The original surveyors’ notebooks, in the office of the commissioner of public lands, at Madison, indicate that the lake was named as early as 1835. “Running a random line,” is a surveying term; and it probably was while the government surveyors were running such a line through the unexplored, virgin woods in the course of making the interior survey of the town of Sherman that they unexpectedly came upon the lake, and named it after the circumstance. The line between sections 26 and 35 crosses the lake. Besides its ice harvesting, Random lake is noted for its considerable colony of summer cottages.

Sen. G.W. Buchen
The Sheboygan Press 
April 20, 1945

 

old mill

 

Old Mill at Winooski
The old-fashioned mill, celebrated in nostalgic songs and verses, like “Down By The Old Mill Stream,” has become almost a thing of the past. Pictured above is such a mill, located on the Onion river at Winooski a few miles south of Plymouth —the last of its kind in the county —which was a prominent landmark for many years. In former times the farmers used to bring their wheat and corn here to be ground into flour and meal, trading a part of the finished product as toll.
Survarnard Jewett, Ellis & Oliver (a firm consisting of William R. Ellis and Ellis Oliver), Fred. Joerns, and Hugo Joerns, were some of the earlier owners of the property. Fred. Joerns, the records show, paid $4,000 for it in 1856.

Built shortly prior to 1849, the mill was in operation until about 1910, when it was discontinued. James Stone, a Vermonter, who came to Winooski in 1846, was the millwright who built it. Recently it was completely dismantled and torn down, leaving only a few depressions and embankments to indicate where the mill, the pond, the dam, and the mill race once were. However, Charles Drewry, the present owner of the land, commendably has presented what remains of the old primitive mill machinery to the Sheboygan County Historical society for permanent preservation and public display.

Of more than ordinary interest in old-time mills like this are the millstones and the large wooden core-wheel which helped to propel them. Both are masterpieces of the millwright’s art — and it was indeed an art. Millstones were in sets, two to a set, placed one above the other, the upper or “runner,” and the “nether” or bed stone, their inner surfaces scarcely touching, to grind and throw off the grain, which was supplied through a hole in the center of the upper stone. The grinding surface of each stone was furrowed or grooved, the grooves being cut perpendicularly on the one side, and with a slope on the other. These grooves had to be recut at times, as the surfaces gradually wore away.

The millstones were about one and one-half feet thick and from four to six feet in diameter, and each was made up of a number of pieces strongly cemented and bound together with iron hoops. The upper stone revolved at a speed of 100-160 revolutions per minute, while the lower remained stationary. A set or pair of stones was known as a “run of stones,” and the capacity of a mill was described by the number of runs of stone it had.

The wooden core-wheel, which was driven by a gear revolving on a shaft passing up from the water turbine in the flume down below, the source of the power, was about six feet in diameter. Singularly, instead of iron it had wooden teeth, made of hard maple, lubricated by boiling in linseed oil, and easily removable when it became broken or worn.

Sen. G.W. Buchen
The Sheboygan Press 
May 11, 1945

 

dacade tavern

Old Tavern in Dacade
This roomy old wayside tavern, once vibrant with life and activity, but now fallen into disuse and decay, stands in the little rural hamlet of Dacada on the north side of the highway athwart the boundary line between Sheboygan and Ozaukee counties. In common with communities like Belgium, Lake Church, Holy Cross, Fredonia and Port Washington, in the northern part of Ozaukee county, Dacada was one of the chief centers of early settlement of immigrants from Luxembourg in Europe.
Built with curious receding roof-ends, and with heavy walls 18 inches thick, made of ordinary rounded field stones, and covered with a thick layer of plaster both on the inside and outside, the structure of the tavern represents a distinctive type of architecture mostly found in central and western Europe, and brought here by the original settlers. There are a number of buildings like it to be seen in and around Dacada, which lend quite an Old World aspect to the countryside.

Sen. G.W. Buchen
The Sheboygan Press 
May 25, 1945

 

farmstead

Old World Farmstead in the Town of Rhine
When the early immigrants from abroad settled in this county, it was only natural for them to bring along many of the Old World habits and ideas to which they were accustomed. Pictured here is on odd type of farmyard — apparently the only one of its kind in the county — that looks as if it had been transplanted bodily from the banks of the Rhine, the Moselle or the Oder. Note the clutch of buildings snuggled together, and closely connected with each other, so common in all the countries of northern and western Europe.
In this country farm buildings are almost always located independent and some distance apart from each other, probably on account of not being crowded for space, and to reduce the hazard of fire.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
June 1, 1945

 

yacht club

Sheboygan Yacht Club
With a wide, smooth, sandy beach, a fine protected outer harbor, and all of Lake Michigan in which to cruise, Sheboygan is an ideal spot for engaging in the royal sport of yachting and boating. The original Sheboygan Yacht club was organized as far back as 1901; but it was not until 1939 that the present club house was completed at the foot of Pennsylvania avenue. The work of construction was performed entirely by the individual members. In 1940 there was a membership of 103 and a fleet of 22 sail boats and 16 power boats. The spectacle of so many white-winged craft boiling merrily along in a smart breeze is a thrilling sight. With many members now in the service of our country, there has been an appreciable curtailment in activities, but these will be revived when peace comes again.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
June 8, 1945

 

methodist church

Methodist Church in Glenbeulah
This quaint little church, standing on one of the side streets of Glenbeulah, has a simple beauty and special appeal not unlike that of a New England church on the village green. It was built in 1887 on land acquired from Mrs. Elizabeth G. Slade and Mrs. Caroline F. Dillingham, who were daughters of Joseph Swift. Captain Swift was one of the first settlers in Glenbeulah and hailed from New England, where he had been the owner and master of a fleet of clipper ships.
The deed of the church property runs to W.H. Willis, Joseph H. Thackray and Joseph H. Austin, trustees of the Methodist Episcopal church at Glenbeulah. It recites that “said premises shall be maintained as a place of divine worship for the use of the ministry and membership of the Methodist Episcopal church.”
The church edifice was substantially remodeled in 1921. The Rev. William V. Stevens, of Genoa City, is the present pastor of the congregation.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
June 15, 1945

 

 

main hall

Main Hall of Mission House College
Main hall was the fifth building to be erected on the campus of Mission House college and seminary near Franklin in this county. Preparations for the construction of this building were begun as far back as 1882, but it was not until 1888 that it was actually completed.

Located in the heart of the settlement of immigrants from the principality of Lippe-Detmold in Europe — all devout members of the German Reformed church — the Mission House, as it was called for years, was founded in 1860 for the purpose of educating and training young men for the ministry.

The first building of the school was completed in 1864 at a cost of $1,027.58 in money, most of the labor and materials being contributed by the individual church members. Before that, beginning in 1855, a few students were given theological instruction in a small way in the nearby parsonages of Immanuel and Saron congregations by the pastors of those congregations. In early days education at the school was free to students who entered the ministry, but they had to sign an agreement that if they did not serve the church 10 years, they would pay $100 a year for their instruction. Students were allowed to earn their expenses by working on the farm operated in connection with the school.

Starting from small and unpropitious beginnings, Mission House college has had a gradual but steady growth, its present normal enrollment numbering somewhat less than 200. The curriculum has been enlarged to include both theological and general academic subjects. The institution enjoys a high reputation and standing and is fully on a par with other recognized small colleges.

Sen. G.W. Buchen 
The Sheboygan Press 
June 22, 1945